If we’re unlucky on Friday the 13th, we sometimes say, ‘That’s because it’s Friday the 13th. And if we buy a ticket with the number 13 on it, we are not so happy with it. Do you believe that this number really brings bad luck? And why? Here are 10 possible reasons.
1. There were 13 people at the last supper
The believers among us know that 13 people appeared at the Last Supper on the night before Jesus died (on Maundy Thursday before Easter). The 13th to appear at the meal was Judas, the betrayer of Jesus.
2. The crucifixion took place on Friday the 13th
It is not a fact that the crucifixion of Jesus (Good Friday) took place on a Friday the 13th, but many believe that it was.
3. Stories from the Bible that have to do with the number 13 are often negative
The Jews grumbled against God 13 times in Egypt’s exodus. The 13th Psalm is about wickedness and corruption. These are a few examples of stories from the Bible that are negative and have to do with the number 13.
4. The mass arrest and execution of the Templars began on Friday the 13th
The Templars protected the Holy Grail. That is the cup that Jesus drank from during his last supper (see number 1 on this list). They also protected other sacred objects, including those of European kings. But when the French King Philip IV lost a war against England, he blamed the Templars. Philip IV and had them all arrested and executed. He started that on Friday, October 13, 1307.
5. A witch coven had 13 members
While it’s now believed that a coven can be any group of witches (or vampires in some stories), they used to believe that a coven always consisted of exactly 13 members.
6. There were 13 steps to the gallows
We are all still familiar with the popular hangman game. A fun game, but the real gallows was less fun. This scaffolding from which convicts were put to death, were hung, had 13 steps. Although gallows were very different from each other, in this they were alike.
7. The number 13 follows the perfect number 12 and you can’t do much with it
The number 12 is seen as a perfect number. This is probably because it is considered a base: there are 12 months, 12 hours per day, 12 apostles… This number was chosen for this, because it has no less than six divisors (by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12) . According to Christian teachings, 3 and 4 are sacred numbers. The product 12 is therefore extra sacred (just like the sum 7). In short, enough reasons to worship 12. The number that comes after 12, 13, is much less with you. Then it will bring bad luck.
8. If your name consists of 13 letters, then you are cursed
According to an old superstition , if your name consists of 13 letters, you are cursed. Well… you may be thinking now. But your disbelief may diminish when you consider that a number of infamous killers had 13-letter names: Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Albert De Salvo, and Theodore Bundy . And in case you’re thinking of Adolf Hitler right now. His Baptist name is Adolfus Hitler.
9. Women menstruate (approximately) 13 times a year
Some suggest that the association of the number 13 with unhappiness has to do with the cycle of women. In general, this menstrual cycle occurs 13 times a year (based on a 28-day cycle).
10. Chaos is predicted in the 13th millennium
The teachings of Zoroastrianism predict that there will be 13,000 chaos at the beginning of the year. The ancient Persians divided history into four 3,000-year chunks. And while exact timetables may vary, most scientists agree that by the beginning of the year 13,000, evil will then turn against evil (although good will eventually triumph).
- 10 Most Bizarre Wars Ever Fought
- Top 10 Most Bizarre Tanks Ever Made
- Top 10 Most Bizarre Trains Ever Made
- Top 10 Bizarre Festivals of the Ancient Romans
- Top 10 Most Bizarre World Records
- Top 10 Bizarre Facts About Insects
- 10 Facts About The Bizarre Black Knight Satellite Conspiracy Theory
- Top 10 Bizarre fashion trends from the past