Sometimes you meet someone who changes your life forever. At other times, someone comes into your life to help you remember who you really are. Sometimes it’s a long-term connection of years and sometimes someone just crosses your path, who isn’t supposed to be a part of your life for a long time. But how do you know it’s time to move on? At some point in your life, you may need to make the heartbreaking choice to end a relationship. It is unrealistic—and even dangerous—to believe that all relationships can be restored.
Close a chapter
No matter how hard you try, some relationships don’t work and some people don’t change. Yes, you can be able to influence them, but positive change is something not everyone can do. That’s why you sometimes have to accept that it’s time to move on, to close a chapter and start a new chapter in your life.
Sometimes cutting off contact can seem like a cruel decision, especially if there is a strong emotional connection, but the reality is that you need it to take care of yourself. In fact, deliberately keeping toxic people out of your life is a sign of self-love and self-respect.
Here are some signs it’s time to move on:
- When life seems to revolve around only the other person when they are always trying to get all the attention. If they show no interest in your thoughts, opinions, or needs, and if you feel like you’re talking to a wall, it’s a sign that it may be time to move on.
- If they are constantly negative. No matter what you do or say, that other person is always unhappy. These individuals may nitpick, criticize, and whine about other people all the time. Not only that, but nothing is ever good enough for them.
- The feeling of being trapped can be very subtle, but when they restrict your freedom it is a great warning sign. If the other person wants to control you or is trying to have power over you, then it is definitely the time to move on.
- They twist the truth and probably these people have broken your trust repeatedly. If they’ve proven to you that they lied, that’s a good reason to move on, because they can’t be trusted.
- You are no longer yourself and you have become a shadow of yourself. You may even have forgotten who you really are. This is a very big warning sign!
- They are constantly creating drama and you feel exhausted from dealing with all the issues surrounding these individuals. Even when something goes well, they are soon unhappy about something else. You feel that this person thrives on drama and tired of their battles, tragedies, and conflicts.
- Your trust in them is broken. They hurt you and can get mean to you with their words or even be physically abusive. Physical abuse is a crystal clear sign that it’s time to move on and end the relationship forever.
- If they don’t prioritize the relationship. The value of the relationship always appears to end up at the bottom of this person’s priority list. Other things always take precedence over you. On the other hand, they are constantly asking for your attention, affection and your favors. They are incapable of being self-conscious and are constantly seeking confirmation from you.
- You feel that you are the cause of the problems. In fact, the other person is constantly playing manipulative games with your mind. Know that it is time to burn the bridges behind you when you feel a continuous psychological turmoil in that person.
- The energy of these individuals seems to be fueled by your attention and emotional reactions. They may enjoy provoking and eliciting a response. This makes them feel like they have power over you. You can also become very tired all the time and get sucked into their negative spiral. If you have this feeling, then chances are you are dealing with a real energy vampire. While I’m not a big fan of this terrifying term, it’s accurate to describe that some people are after your energy.
- They don’t want you to reach your full potential, for they are afraid of changes. They don’t want to see you happy. Unhappy people want to be surrounded by other unhappy people because it gives them a sense of comfort. As a result, do you want to dim your light and grow into a wallflower yourself?
Starting a new chapter of your life
Even if you’ve only experienced one or two of these warning signs after reading this list, you should seriously consider the possibility that it’s time to move on. Hopefully, these signs will awaken you to the opportunity to start a new chapter of your life.