The actual name of Halloween is All Hallow’s Eve. The night before All Saints’ Day. On All Saints’ Day, the saints are honored and the dead are commemorated a day later, on All Souls’ Day. These last two are Christian festivals that the Christians have happily adopted from the Celts who celebrate Samhain around this time of year.
Samhein is an annual festival where the last harvest is brought in and everyone gets ready for winter. For the Celts, this started the new year. They lived from the thunder to the light and counted in their calendar with winters and nights. With Samhain the dark season begins and with it a new beginning is born.
Samhein also commemorates the dead because, according to the Celts, the veils between the worlds are at their thinnest around this time of year. The world of the dead and the world of the living are closest at this time. Hence the commemoration and veneration of the dead and saints and hence the focus on death and the ‘other world’ at Halloween.
Deceased loved ones are now closer
Communication with deceased loved ones would be easier now because the ‘curtain’ that keeps our worlds separate is so thin now. For me, Samhein means a moment in the year when I can do two things, easier than usual; contacting my deceased loved ones and taking advantage of the fact that a new year is starting,
making this moment perfect to let go of old things to make room for new things in my life. Since communication with the deceased is now easier than usual, you can call on your loved ones on the other side to clear out the old and invite the new.
To start this ‘new year’ very consciously, you can do a ritual for yourself right now in which you first let go of all the old things that no longer serve you and then invite the things you would like to receive into your life.
I do rituals entirely by feel, which I like best. Rituals work best if you do them completely from your heart, so follow your own gut feeling. To give you an idea of what you can do, I would like to tell you what a Samhein ritual is for me, use what suits you, add where you find it necessary and leave what you can’t use.
- frankincense, sage or other herbs for burning
-pen and paper
fireproof bowl and lighter (yeah, we’re going to light a fire! 🙂 )
As with any ritual, it is nice and effective for the result to find a time and place where you will not be disturbed. In order to create the atmosphere that magic invites you, in addition to your intention to invite magic, you can light a candle, a little incense or sage and you can put down some beautiful stones and crystals for example.
* Grab a pen and paper and make a list of everything that happened in the past year that you are grateful for. For me, for example, the great friendships in my life, the fact that I had the courage to change my life where it no longer fit (relationship and place of residence), that my work expands, goes so well and I still enjoy it .
Write down everything that fills your heart with gratitude. It’s nice to start (and end) your ritual with the things that make you happy.
- Now make a list of things from the past year that you would like to let go of. That can be relationships or friendships that no longer serve you, situations that you would like to get out of, patterns in yourself that you like to let go of or old sadness that you really want to leave behind. Again, write down everything that comes to mind in this context.
- Finally, make a list of all the things you want to keep or attract in the coming year. Then you end up with all the things you are grateful for, supplemented with the things you want but don’t have in your life yet. For example, think of more people in your life who are on your wavelength, a new house that completely suits you and your wishes, even more work in which you can earn your money with pleasure.
- Make sure that you focus on what you do want and not on what you don’t want. The universe does not know the word ‘not’, so pay attention to what you focus your attention on.
You have now made 3 handwritten lists (handwritten is more powerful than typed because your energy is then more in it); a list of things you are grateful for, a list of things you want to let go of and a list of things you want to keep and invite for your new year.
Take list number 1 and your lighter and fireproof dish and keep the paper in the flame. Let it sink into the traps as you say out loud or in your mind something along the lines of “Thank you for all the things that have come my way over the past year, I have received them with love.” Then light a little sage, frankincense or other herb to reinforce your words of thanks.
Take list number 2 with all the things you want to let go of and let this also go up in flames. While this is happening, say out loud or in your mind ‘Thank you for all the lessons I have received through this.
I hereby let go of everything that no longer serves me, in love.’ Light another piece of sage (preferably sage because it cleans) and let whatever you want to let go up with the smoke from the sage, knowing that the space that remains is immediately cleaned so that it is ready to receive the new.
Take list number 3 with the things you want to keep and invite and light this too. Let it go up in flames as you say out loud or in your mind something like “Thank you for all that is yet to come. I hereby surrender all my wishes to the universe in the confidence that exactly that happens that serves my highest good.’
When all the burnt papers are completely burned out, throw away the residue and clean up your bowl, etc. Blow out your candle(s) in gratitude, put your crystals back where they belong and let whatever you have incense, sage, or herbs burn itself out.
While doing this, you can still choose to say aloud or in your mind that you are done with the ritual, let go of what you have done and are confident about the consequences. This and all the foregoing are suggestions, I describe how I do, mainly follow your own feeling.
It is important to complete a ritual so that it can do its job for you as a whole. Also the closing is important so that you can let go of what you have done and let the universe how it will work for you. You don’t have to do anything for it now, just receive what comes your way and enjoy what happens.